the burning man

Yesterday, I was supposed to be at a barbecue, at NK's house at 3pm. The said barbecue was in-celebration of his 25th birthday and was set to extend all the way till midnight. It was one of those lazy Sundays, so I was in bed all the way till 4.30 pm and I did not feel like going out. After a long self-directed-lecture, chiding myself over my anti-socialness, I dragging my sorry ass out of bed, washed my hair and struggled into my only clean-pair of jeans and flip-flops. I was finally ready to leave at 5pm. DD who was supposed to go with me, seemed to have dropped her phone in the lake, so I decided to brave it on my own since I had already washed and blow dried my hair. I then had to stop off and pick up beverages and I finally parked outside his driveway at 6.00 pm (a perfect 3 hours late). I suddenly found I was too nervous to go in. I tried to battle my "6th-grade-like" shyness for about ten minutes, gave-up, and started to take a U-turn and I was about to speed out of there, before anyone caught sight of a creepy girl sitting outside in her car, watching the party. Strangely my phone started to ring, so I answered since it was my mom. She sleepily asked me what I was doing, and I narrated it all to her, and naturally she was exasperatedly and said "oh just go in". At that very moment I caught sight of a rather large (plus sized) back-side of an unknown girl, which somehow served to encourage me to get out of my car and go in :| .... So I went in... and caught sight of two other people from work, who I didnt really know, but keenly liked, and some other interesting looking people. A majority of the people were leaving as I walked in so I managed to find a seat near the grill. It was cold and the ground was a bit mucky, but I felt safe enough... After it got too cold to sit outside, the group that was left went inside, and several of the very interesting party-guests, launched into a discussion about "the burning man". I was pretty confused but everyone else seemed to know what it was. My blackberry was across the table so I couldn't ask google for help. People mostly said things like, "I was naked at the burning man this year, being naked in the dessert is rough". Another said, "oh this year I just went top less". Another added, "just FYI, condoms dont last well in the heat "... and a whole lot of other unreal things. It was one of my most shining "FOBbie moments"... wow ! . so i just sat around , and nodded ocassionally and pretended like I was in total agreement with all their views, all the while dying to find out what I was nodding my head so enthusiastically to.



No comments: